Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Worth of You

What do you think you are worth as a wife and mother? If you are like most women, you have days of feeling like you are unworthy and not doing a good job, followed by days where you feel that you are doing pretty well. God sees great value in us as wives and mothers and has even cared about us and our jobs so much that He has given us a sort of guidebook for living and doing the best that we can for our families. Proverbs 31 is the first guidebook that we will be studying.

Many women look at Proverbs 31 and feel that they cannot possibly measure up, but I don’t think that God put it in the Bible to discourage us or make us feel unworthy. Rather, I believe that it is in there to give us a guide for living and for the things that we should work on as wives and mothers. Today, we will look at the first verse that God uses to speak to wives and mothers, Proverbs 31:10. It helps to show us the value that God places on our jobs as wives and mothers.

“Who can find a virtuous wife?
For her worth is far above rubies.”
NKJV

“A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds.” The Message

“A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman-who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.” The Amplified Bible

Do you feel capable, intelligent, good, and virtuous all of the time? I know I don’t, but I am trying to be more forgiving of my faults and just learn to “fall forward.” Yes, I will fail and fall in my journey to be the wife and mother than God would have me to be, but instead of letting my failure stop me in my tracks, I am instead endeavoring to use it as a learning experience and thus “fall forward.” No, it is not something that I have perfected, but it is a skill that I am working on every single day.

Why is this something that I should be concerned about? The most important reason is that it is important to God that we be the best that we can be at whatever He has set us to. The second reason is for my husband. God expresses how important we are in our husband’s ministries in Proverbs 12:4.

“An excellent wife is the crown of her husband,
But she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones.”
NKJV

I want to be a crown to my husband, don’t you? I want to enhance him and enhance what he is doing for the Lord, so that the Lord can use us both in ministry, whether it is together or separately. By being the best wife and mother than I can be to the husband and children that God has given to me, I am fulfilling my purpose. That is not to say that my children and husband are my only purposes, but they are a major part of my ministry and mission field at this point of my life. If your husband is not a believer, then being a crown to him and being the woman that God would have you to be could be a way that God is using you to minister and witness to him through your words and actions. Whether your husband is a believer, not a believer, or whether you are a single mom, we as Christian women, have a responsibility to be what God wants us to be every single day.

What kind of wife are you? What kind of mother are you? You may not feel like you are doing a very good job today, but as we learned yesterday, we are given a new opportunity to begin every single day. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and resolve to do better. Fall forward!

Lord I come to you right now and ask that you touch each woman that is reading these words today. I ask that you place in their hearts a desire to be the best that they can be – whether it is as a wife, mother, grandmother, or woman. Give them the strength and knowledge to learn how to “fall forward”, so that messing up doesn’t mean failure, it means learning how to be the woman that You would have them to be. Give them the desires of their heart in You. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

2 comments:

The Proverbs Wife said...

This is a delightful begining of a wonderful blog. I have certainly been encouraged.

lmt said...

Memories came flooding back as I read this blog. I was blessed in life by a grandmother that was often described as a virtous women. She gave everything she had to family and friend with an open door and an open heart. Thanks for reviving those memories.