Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Trustworthy Woman

Have you ever played that game where you fall back into the arms of someone to see how much you trust them? It is normally used in a team building exercise to allow the participants to see what their level of trust is in each other. This game is much like marriage. Your husband should be able to trust that you will be there to catch him, no matter if he is wrong or right. We should be the safe haven that our husbands can depend on and trust in no matter what is going on around him.

That said, I am guilty of not being that safe haven. I am one of those people who likes to discuss every angle of the issue, which makes my husband feel that I am taking someone else's side over him. That is not my intent, but it erodes the trust that he has in me to always be on his side. By listening to him without trying to figure out everyone else's reasoning behind their decision, I am showing him that he is important and increasing his feeling of safety in our home. This helps to build his self-confidence and his confidence in me.

In Proverbs 31:11, one of the qualities of that elusive Proverbs 31:11 woman is that her husband trusts in her.

"The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain." NKJV

"The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of (honest) gain or need of (dishonest) spoil." The Amplified Bible

Do you do what you say you will do? Are you flaky and disorganized? I am holding up my hand here. With three kids, life just seems to get in the way sometimes of doing what I said that I will do. In the case of my husband, it could be forgetting to go to the bank, to wash his favorite jeans, or to pick up dry cleaning. Although these all seem like minor infractions, they do not help to build his confidence in me. Eroding the confidence with these little things could mean that he does not trust me with the big things, either.

Being trustworthy and faithful to our husbands is more than just keeping ourselves for only him sexually. It means doing what we say we will do when we say we will do it and being that place of safety for him. This is not an overnight magical thing that will happen, but by making small changes in you - biting your tongue, becoming more organized by writing down tasks, and being there for him - you will find that the rewards are too numerous to count.

How can we become that trustworthy wife? By trusting that God is there for us to catch us. God will equip us to be the woman that He wants us to be if we only trust Him. When we put our trust in Him that He will take our lives and work them to His will, then He helps us to do every task that we put our mind to and that includes being the wife and mother that He would have us to be. What could be better than that?

Lord, help me to be that soft place of security of my husband. Let him to trust in me and have confidence in me that I will do him good and not harm. I cannot do this in my own power, Lord. I must have You beside me every single day, guiding me, to be the woman that You would have me to be. Thank You for every single moment that I have with my husband. Give me a greater love for him every single day. I thank You for this man that You have given me. I praise You, Lord. Amen.

No comments: