Friday, January 11, 2008

The Early Bird Gets the...

Proverbs 31:15

"She also rises while it is yet night,
And provides food for her household,
And a portion for her maidservants." NKJV

"She rises while it is yet night and gets (spiritual) food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks." The Amplified Bible

"She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day." The Message

I am lazy. I enjoy sleeping in. That is why this verse strikes fear in my little ole heart. I don't want to get up in the morning. Whether it is for physical food for my family or spiritual food for me, the snooze button seems much more important in the morning. Getting up and fixing breakfast for my family is not something that I excel at. I throw pop-tarts in the kid's hands as I take them to school and my poor hubby nukes sausage biscuits. This sometimes makes me feel extremely guilty-especially when I compare myself to one of my friends, who gets up every morning before anyone else in her house, gets ready, has Bible study, and fixes breakfast (eggs, pancakes, etc.). I can see the good in doing this, however.

I can get much more done at home and with my work when I get up and get my day started. I think that is what God had in mind. He knew that women (moms and wives) were going to have a lot to do to take care of their families. That is why He suggested that we get up early, so that we can get a jump start on the work before our families arise.

The Amplified Bible suggest that we rise and get spiritual food. Doing this first thing in the morning can serve to fortify us for the day that we are facing. This could really make the difference between merely surviving your day and having a victorious day. It is much easier to be still before God when everything is still around you. That is the benefit of spending that time with Him before everyone else arises.

I am going to make a commitment that I will get up at 6AM every morning next week to fix breakfast and do Bible study. What are you going to do? Join in with me as we bless ourselves and our families by getting up earlier and spending time with God.

Be Blessed!

Lord, you want us to be still before You. In this day and age, being still is not a skill that most of us have. Please take the time that we carve out for You in the morning and consecrate it unto You. Bless us and strengthen us during this time. May we realize the power that comes from spending time with You and from taking proper care of our families. I praise You! AMEN.

2 comments:

Karen said...

How is your getting up at 6:00 going? I'm trying to get up earlier and it's totally hit and miss. But the days that I do rise early are MUCH better than those when I wait and am up with the kiddos.

Faith said...

Can Lorenzo come over...he loves Tart Tarts :) So how is the 6am wake up call going?